Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Strange wednesday... NY Memories...











I have been at home all day, doing various things and just messing about in general. A combination of chillout and busy... One of the tasks was to send an overdue mail to an old friend of mine and I enclosed the above photo of my trying not to look too terrified on top of the Empire State Building during our visit in May to New York. My daughter was hell-bent on going up to the top so I felt obligated to go with her. Trouble is - for some reason, possibly related to the operations I've had in the last year, I've developed vertigo and a mild balance problem. A nightmare... But I did it, even though I break out in a cold sweat at the thought! Strange - not so long ago, it wouldn't have bothered me...

I was hoping to get back to New York on my own in September but that is looking unlikely now for various reasons. Just have to wait till next spring. With my daughter in May we did mainly tourist things and shopping but I managed to get to John Zorn's Stone Club to see Misha Mengeldorf. Looking forward to spending a week there next time, getting out to see more music and exploring the art galleries. Although I managed to achieve an old ambition and see the Pollocks in the Museum of Modern Art. I also found my notes today for the trip, which I may get round to publishing - when I finish all my other current projects. But I did manage to write a review of the Stone Club and Jackson Pollock at Moma - strictly fan stuff but here on the Plexus web site - Stone Club
and
Pollock...

Staying in all day on my own takes me into a strange zone - but I managed to do some overdue things like finish my track on the cassette that David, one of our Plexus collaborators sent me. David and I are doing some old school tape swaps - one lays down some tracks, sends it to the other and so on... an interesting exercise. Also did a lot of editing on my book which is almost finished. And listened to the mixes that Murray sent me - the two latest cds that Plexus is planning to get out in time for our festival in September. ANd reading. And listening to music. And working on a review of the Odd Nosdam album, 'Burner.' Which I think is brilliant.
Going back to the straight job in October - which I may have to do for a while - is going to be a drag! Convalescing has weirdly enough given me the space that I craved to do all the things I want to re music and writing. And travel. On the down side - fatigue... and drinking a wee bit too much!

No comments: